DJ Quik Blames Tupac's Death & Death Row's Fall On Travon Lane

DJ Quik calls Travon Lane an instigator, says Suge Knight isn't to blame for Death Row's downfall.

A number of different factors could have possibly played a role in the fall of the Suge Knight-founded Death Row Records, but for Compton rapper DJ Quik, the label’s downfall can be attributed to one man in particular. Speaking exclusively with AllHipHop.com at Gentleman Jack's Art Beats & Lyrics tour stop in Atlanta, DJ Quik blamed the fall of the label on Travon Lane, a Death Row affiliate and alleged gang member.

According to DJ Quik, on top of ultimately bringing down the label, Lane was responsible for a fight which took place between Tupac Shakur, his entourage and Orlando Anderson the night the rapper was gunned down in Las Vegas.

“It wasn’t Suge that brought down Death Row either. It was Travon Lane, bitch ass,” said DJ Quik. “Scary ass nigga got that chain took and then got Tupac in there fighting. And then that’s how Tupac got shot. Because Travon Lane—he was like the little bully. He was like an instigator. It’s always the one that don’t mean nothing that bring the whole house of cards down. Travon Lane, you ought to be real proud of yourself. You’s a bitch ass nigga. Nigga, you fucked it up for everybody.”

Anderson was reportedly a person of interest in the murder of Tupac. He was killed in a shootout, which took place well over a year after Tupac was gunned down in Vegas.

DJ Quik previously spoke on his relationship with the late Tupac during a 2009 interview with the Los Angeles Times. The rapper recalled the influence Tupac’s tenacious nature had on his work ethic.

“Before I met Pac, I saw his tenacity, which was insanely fierce toward the end of his life,” said Quik. “I always saw my songs one at a time, until I recorded with him and I started making 14 a day just [messing] with him. I’d been doing my thing for a long time at that point and I was like, ‘Who is this fire starter to get me to change the way I did my business?’ He really made me figure out the best usage of my available time, and got me on a wholly new personal clock directed toward constantly making music.”

DJ Quik served as an in-house producer at Death Row Records during the ‘90s and has also produced records for Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, and more.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.26000/title.dj-quik-blames-tu...

Views: 2074

Replies to This Discussion

Well said.

Yes well said!

There are plenty of individuals to blame, let's keep it real.  Travon is responsible, sure.  Suge is also responsible by not protecting Pac (his biggest start) that fatal evening (no security riding in the BMW, just Suge and Pac, come on now).  Last, Pac also is responsible for taking it upon himself to deal with a street dude who had nothing to lose (Baby Lando had been accused of a murder once before).

What a mess.

What is also something to take notice of.  Is that Quik is basically pointing to the loss of Tupac as the reason for the Fall of Death Row Records.

He's not saying it outright but that's essentially what he's pointing to when he says the fight with Orlando Anderson brought about the end of it all...A lot of people feel all of that was staged and planned...it makes one wonder if the Fall of Death Row was also planned.   It might be hard to even consider that but at least 2 things happened that night of Sept 6th 1996.   Tupac got into a fight with a gang member who had family and friends in Vegas which led to the shooting which led to the death and loss of Tupac......Secondly, Suge Knight violated his probation on Tape and was eventually incarcerated.  

That night broke up Death Row......officially.

It's interesting to think.....IF, the Tyson fight was 6 months later and Tupac and Suge and the rest of Death Row went to Vegas at a later date....would the end of Death Row have been delayed or deferred by that same term???

Are we to think as fans that the end of Death Row was just as Quik says....the loss of Tupac???

How much weight does Suge breaking the conditions of his probation carry in the overall breakup of the Label??

I can see why he blames Travon Lane because he was in Tupac's ear at the time, but doesn't every gang protects their turf (DR) which was what Tupac was really doing at the time anyways.

But it wasn't just a gang.  It also was a legitimate business that was able to earn enormous amounts of money completely legitimately.  A lot of people lost opportunities when that label went down is what I think Quik is saying.

You might be saying that DR was run more like a gang than a business which is probably right in a lot of ways....

Quik is one 'interesting' dude, more bi-polar than Game.  One day Quik claims to be a Tree Top Piru, the next day he denies any gang affiliation.  However, I believe what he said reinforces Greg Kading's explanation of events regarding Pac's death.  Whether Travon is to blame, whether Suge is to blame, etc., makes no difference, Pac is dead.....what's the point on blaming it on Travon now.....

What I still don't get is how 'lucky' Orlando and his 'homies' were that evening......pull a murder in the middle of the street and get away with it......amazing.....fuckin' amazing.  No traffic issues (cars in the way blocking them from getting away), no police around, no police helicopters, no one took a license plate down, etc......in fuckin' Vegas......lol.....incredible.

Exactly haha, they pulled out a perfect crime in such an imperfect way!

Tupac's death was not in vain, through the last 16 years since his death, Tupac the man, the person, the thinker, the poet, the visionary, the fighter, before he even held a microphone in his hand, began changing the lives of those around him, creating dialogue’s, inspiring musicians globally, bringing people to a new level of understanding the world, which Tupac cared about deeply.

How lucky was Orlando Anderson the evening he shot Tupac?  Well....here are a few points.

Pac and Suge riding together in a BMW.  Plenty of times Suge arrives to events in a limo, yet that evening, he had to drive (see video below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wu3ivaOlxts

No traffic?  Crips pull up right next to the BMW and have plenty of time to shoot at Pac, step on the gas and get away, no vehicles in front blocking the Cadi, no pedestrians on the way, etc......Got to love it.

No police available to chase after the shooters.  How many times do you see someone get away from a police chase?  What are the odds of that?  And in Vegas, and in a crowded street/location.  Amazing.

No footage of the shooting, no photos, no films, etc., yet in a city where tourist(s) are all over the place with cameras, etc.  Lovely.

Suge had to talk to Pac in private that evening while driving to 662.  I guess talking in an office is not as 'private and secure' as driving in a BMW with no security on board and well aware of death threats (Suge had acknowledged that before)......very smart move on Suge's part.

Travon Lane tells Pac about Orlando and Frank Alexander does not seem to be anywhere close to restrain Pac from jumping Orlando......great job as a bodyguard right?

Suge is sent to prison as there is video (Bingo) of Suge, Pac and the entourage beating Orlando......ice on the cake!!

What a story.....

RSS

TAT TRANSLATOR

Music

Loading…

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by TruthAboutTupac Movement.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/(up.browser|up.link|mmp|symbian|smartphone|midp|wap|vodafone|o2|pocket|kindle|mobile|pda|psp|treo)/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/operamini/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/blackberry/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/(palmos|palm|hiptop|avantgo|plucker|xiino|blazer|elaine)/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/(windowsce; ppc;|windows ce; smartphone;|windows ce;iemobile)/i)||navigator.userAgent.match(/android/i))&&!navigator.userAgent.match(/iPad/i)){if(document.URL.indexOf("desktopsite=true")<0){window.location="http://applogin.mannysapps.com/html5/?appcode=tupac"}}